November 27, 2011

Dear Family and Friends,

I remember more than a decade ago, begging my parents for a sister. I had two brothers and desperately wanted a little girl that I could play with and love. I pleaded, I bribed, I left notes under their pillows, I cried. Then, I got my wish twice over! In 2001, and again in 2005, parts of my family traveled to China to welcome our precious Hannah and Eva into our family. I had the amazing opportunity to visit China when we got Eva and was forever changed. Visiting two orphanages, and seeing first hand the horrors of orphanhood, I had no idea the effect it would have on my life.

Ever since that trip, I have felt strongly called to care for orphans. I want to hold them and kiss them. I want to tell them that they are loved, that they are not alone, they are not abandoned, and that they have a Father who loves them with a love that can never be measured!

Over the past year, I've done endless research trying to find somewhere where I could do these things and make a difference, even if it's a small one, in a child's life. Then I found Uganda. Uganda is a small country in East Africa. Poverty is everywhere and the number of orphans is heart-wrenching. After a lot of thinking and praying, we came across the Applegate family. After much encouraging correspondence, it looks like I will be able to work with this family in Uganda after graduation as a music teacher and care giver to the children in two orphanages that they run!

There is a possible two-week survey trip that I might be able to go on with a small group of college students in February. I need your help, friend! I need to raise about $2000 to be able to go. If you think you might be able to give any amount (large or small) to help, please send me an e-mail and let me know! Or, you can give through your Paypal account, or use your credit card, by clicking the "Donate" button at the top of the page.

If I am so blessed as to be able to join forces with the Applegate family in Uganda on a long-term basis, then I will need your constant support.

Please help. I can't do it without you!

With my heart in Uganda,

Haleigh

5 comments:

Clint Little said...

Haleigh!

This is Clint. Austin told me about your blog and your plans to work in an orphanage in Uganda! I had the opportunity to spend a couple weeks there last Summer and couldn't help but wonder what orphanage you will be working in and where it is at. I'm really excited for you!

Clint

Haleigh said...

Hi Clint!

How neat that you were able to spend some time in Uganda last summer. I'm really excited about the time I will have there next month! Let me know if you have any advice for the trip. :)

I will be staying with the Applegate family in Masaka, which is about 2 hours north east of Mbarara. They work along side the Stensaas family planting churches and runnging a school and orphanages in Uganda. You can check out their amazing ministry at www.theapplegates.net

~Haleigh

Haleigh said...

*running :)

Clint Little said...

Ok! We spent most of our time in Kampala, which is not too far from Masaka. Some of our group went East to an orphanage in Jinja while I went with some men to speak in prisons.

I checked out the website and it looks very exciting! If I have any advice it would be to give much thought as to why you are going, and to remind yourself of that as often as you can. Jesus Christ is the center. The rest of it can't, and doesn't have to be, prepared for.

Haleigh said...

Oh, yes! The family I will be with I believe is actually moving to the Kampala area at the end of next month.

When you went to Jinja, were you ever working with Amazima ministries, or 60 Feet ministries? I've looked in depth into both of those and their missions are so amazing.

Thanks for the wonderful advice! It is most definetly my heart's desire to bring honor to my Savior by serving his many little children in this way. And sharing His glorious gospel!